Friday 7 November 2008

Common Marmosets


We (Kerri, Nic & I) decided we should leave Lopez Mendes or we would have been walking the whole 3-1/2 hours back to Abrao (in the dark for the most part). We had to meet a boat at Enseada das Palmas on the other side of the last ridge. Corina & Sandra and the late arrivers decided to stay for a bit to do some sun worshiping.

Just after we left the beach, I heard a chirp that wasn't familiar to me & didn't sound like a bird. Kerri & Nic kept going but I stopped for a while to listen again (I've become quite the wildlife spotter since the Canadian adventure). Sure enough, the trees around me were full of these cute little Common Marmosets. I ran up the track & made Nic & Kerri come back.
We watched this troupe of about 20 Common Marmosets play in the trees around us for around half an hour. They seemed more interested in us that we were of them. They even had a very young one with them, but they took it way up into the top of the tress when we got there. They're only little monkeys with the largest male (pictured left) having a body no more than 8 inches long but have have the most amazingly long stripy tails. Needless to say, there were no shortage of photos.

We totally missed the boat we were targeting but managed to catch the following one.